Monday 2 March 2009

Gwyneth Paltrow defends her site 'Goop.com'

Actress Gwyneth Paltrow's new lifestyle website goop.com has been highly criticised in the media recently. The New York Times newspaper calls Goop “fatuous and puzzling” and Toronto’s The Globe and Mail newspaper commented on the name Goop, saying: “Perhaps the domain names 'Any Old Load of Rubbish' and 'Learn From Me, Ungrateful Peasant' were both already taken.”


In response to the criticism, Gwyneth says: “I think the people who are criticizing it or criticizing the idea of it, don't really get it, because if they did, they would like it.” She adds: “I think that people like people to stay in their 'box' – they like people to stay how they are comfortable seeing them. There's nothing incendiary about it. I find it really interesting because it's a harmless newsletter that goes out each week.”


The earthy star and beautiful mother of two tells why she decided to launch the website: "because I felt like I had a lot of really useful information that I was privileged enough to get, because I have this amazing, super, fortunate life."



The actress, mum, model and wife of Rockstar Chris Martin gives the following cocktail of tips for making your own life better. She says: "Make your life good. Invest in what's real. Cook a meal for someone you love. Pause before reacting. Clean out your space. Read something beautiful. Treat yourself to something. Go to a city you've never been to. Learn something new. Don't be lazy. Workout and stick with it. GOOP. Make it great." Inspiring.

The site, which carries the tagline "nourishing the inner aspect" is simple and clean looking. It comprises of small newsletters which read much like an honest diary entry with pictures under 6 different subheadings represented by icons. The headings are 'Make, Go, Get, Do, Be and See'. Every week subscribers receive an inspiring newsletter. Topics vary from parenting to cooking, eating out, exercising, books and globe trotting. The letters are both candid and revealing which is quite unusual as the star ordinarily conducts her life in a very private manner, shying away from publicity.



I personally think her site a great idea and totally get the concept. Admittedly, the site targets mum's and women with a little bit of time on their hands so even though I love it, I can see how not everybody would appreciate the content or find it useful.

If the writing is Gwyneths own, she is actually a surprisingly talented writer. I found the newsletters an interesting read, her writing style is intimate, humble, unassuming and down-to-earth, very 'normal' considering the fact that she is an A-list celebrity.



You can go to goop.com yourself but for your convenience, I've pasted this week's newsletter so you can get an idea of what it's all about:

"Paris
When I was ten years old, my father and I took a trip to Paris, leaving my younger brother and mother in London where she was filming a movie. My dad believed in one-on-one time with us, and sometimes that extended to a weekend away. We stayed at a great hotel and he said I could order whatever I wanted for breakfast (French fries). We went to the Pompidou museum, the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre - the usual spots. It was pretty great. On the plane back to London he asked me if I knew why we had gone, just he and I, to Paris for the weekend. I said no, but I felt so lucky for the trip. He said, “I wanted you to see Paris for the first time with a man who would always love you, no matter what.” From that time on, Paris was and continues to be very special to me. I lived there for five months in 1994 and I have made many trips back. These are the places in Paris I stay and eat and toast my dad.
Love, Gwyneth"





Screengrab of the site:









To sign up for the newsletter use this link: sign up to goop.com

DON'T FORGET:
Check out our brand new online auction site Fabricjam.com™If you have any of your own items for sale, both new, handmade, customised, used or vintage, dig them out and try listing them for sale on the site. You can sell anything you like that's feminine or fashionable such as Clothing, Footwear, Handbags and Accessories, Baby or Little girls clothing, Beauty products, Unused gift cards, Feminine home furnishings, Design patterns and Tools.


Our free listing policy means that you're always a winner as you lose nothing if your item doesn't sell!


ALSO:
For more fashion news, personal style tips and inspiration visit our other fantastic blog Fabricjam.com™ street style blog written by Katie Powell who works in London doing Fashion PR.


Images via:


babble.com

mommyblips.com

No comments:

Post a Comment